View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlinecrease View Post
In a landscape that is already confused with lousy authenticators, problems comparing grades between legitimate authenticators (PSA, BVG, SCG), why would Beckett which already has a reasonable grading brand continue to have this bizarre low end grading that is difficult to compare to anything else, that the look up only sort of works for on their site, and that doesn't even track for population reports.

Bought a card (56 Mantle) off someone the other day and selling it on eBay, already BCCG slabbed. It's a nice card, but the only thing the BCCG tells me is that it is authentic, beyond that their '9' isn't meaningful, it's a matter of staring at it to try to figure out what grade it would get through a real grading process.

And the seller, who had previously bought the card off a certain clown who fans hundreds out in his hands admitted what I immediately thought, that he was fooled into buying "a 9", and was disappointed when I said to him it wasn't like a PSA 9.
Do a search on this site and you will see in depth discussions about it. Their Director of Grading, and member of our board, has explained it. In short they made that brand quite a while ago for Home Shopping Network and mass retailers. It was never supposed to be for hobbyists as ourselves. At this point I believe it makes them money and in this business, if you are making a profit and doing it legally, it's a good thing. I believe they will not accept many cards (especially old ones) for that service anymore.