View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 08:06 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Bob,

I have provided research on this very forum which indicates the number of portrait BB cards distributed in 1947.That research has been used by all the major auction houses, and it appears Beckett as well. To call that card a limited release or a regional release is to ignore that research to fit a narrative.

The set of 13 is a true card set. Its distribution has been documented. Of the 13, the portrait was released first and constitutes his true RC. Following the Portrait and prior to the release of the Swell Sport Thrills set, 6 more Bond Bread cards were distributed, as was the Kneeling Old Gold card (Sept 47 release). None of those take away from the value or significance of the Swell Sport Thrills, which is a beautiful card that deserves its increase in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I had actually already seen and read that very article before posting my response and question to you, just to make sure I wasn't missing, forgetting, or otherwise unaware of some other circumstances or facts surrounding the set. Of course that card set is important, and exactly why it would be expected that if it had been widely issued, and not more of a regional or other extremely limited type of issue, that one would expect there would be a heck of a lot more of them out there and still around today. And my original reason for researching that particular article was to do a double check before making an earlier post and statement I had had made about how the '48 Sports Thrills card was the first sports card to my knowledge to actually refer to Jackie's historic MLB debut. Though the back of one of his Bond Bread cards does go into a history of Jackie's accomplishments, it still doesn't mention him being the first ever Black MLB player in history. And I'm also well aware and don't disagree at all with you that the Bond Bread items first came out in '47, the year before any other card issues with Robinson in them. That was never the question or issue, just that some people may not view it as a "true" card issue, and/or maybe more as a limited/regional type issue.

Still, that article doesn't answer my question at all, it actually just does the opposite, and was one of the main things I came across that actually prompted me to then ask you the question I did in the first place. Which you still haven't answered by the way!

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards