Thread: $100,000 Card
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 06:47 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
In the 90's the first cards made in the major league card issues were always a players RC. In the mid-late 2000's mlb started doing the whole "rookie label" thing. I think younger collectors of modern are used to rookie season, rookie logo stamped "RCs" but that wasn't the case or the norm in the 90's.

To further muddy the situation, Jeter has numerous 1995 issues that were produced after and make mention of his major league debut. So theoretically I can see people, depending on their own criteria, making cases for 1993, 1995, and 1996 cards. Although I never see the 1995 considered for whatever reason.

To me and I think the overwhelming majority of Jeter collectors, the 1993 issues are what we call his Rookies. But , people can collect whatever they want and different opinions are allowed .
I fully understand how things have changed over the years. The reason for the rookie shield was because people didn’t know what to call a true rookie. Yes because people were calling guys first cards a rookie even before they ever played a game. But the truth of the matter is there is a hobby definition of what a rookie card is. Jeter had cards in 1992 so are these his rookies? Is a card print 3 years after a player retired his last card?