View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising,

First set put together - 1978 Papa Ginos discs finished as the promotion was ending. So 40 years.

They'd been very tight with the cards all summer, holding strictly to whatever the purchase requirement was I think maybe a drink bought with anything else?
It was pretty close, my sister an brother helped, as they got cards too when we went for the once a week Pizza outing. The last or next to last week of the promotion we got three duplicates, and I figured that was it. But maybe I could get a bit closer if they'd let us swap cards for ones we needed. I had my brother ask, as he was the youngest. To our surprise they handed us one of the the buckets they kept the cards in and said to take what we needed and bring the rest back. Finished the set, and gave the rest back.

A few weeks later I got one of the ads from the register. It had fallen down behind, and I'd asked earlier but the ads were supposed to be returned to the main office (A likely excuse for "sorry, we're keeping them ourselves") One had gotten behind the register and I got it but it took the manager clearing it.

First big set I think was a three way tie, 1982 Topps Fleer and Donruss. But I bought them instead of putting them together.

I'm not sure if I finished the 78 Topps before or after 82 I know I was close, but seldom really worked for those last few cards. I may not have finished that one until 89 or so.