View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
I think Cobb was hyper competitive and never made a point to be one of the good ole boys. He was a southerner which immediately made him an outsider and he like most southerners made it personal. Was he a racist? Who wasn't in that era? They were all bigots in one form or fashion. They hated the Irish, the Chinese and any other minority that didn't fit into the mold.

I think that he did everything in absolutes, no grey areas and that is how it is. As a kid I had the movie on VHS and I watched it over and over. It's how I learned who Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie and Mickey Cochrene were. Stump lied his a$$ off to make a small fortune off of someone else's name and unfortunately it stuck.
When you talk about being hyper competitive I think about Kobe Bryant. A lot of people don't like Kobe but he took the game serious and so did Cobb. Being the best does not always equal being loved. As a fan of sports I would take a Kobe or Cobb over anyone because you know they are finishers and they have a killer instinct that you cant coach.