Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
June is starting out to be a great month for pickups, as I was able to scratch a great ticket off my want list.

On Sept. 11th, 1946 starting pitcher Johnny Vander Meer, of Double No-Hit fame, ended up pitching in one of the great epic pitching battles of all-time against Dodgers starter Hal Gregg & Co.
Vandy pitched the first 15 innings of what ended up being a 0-0 tie against the Bums at Ebbets Field, ending after 19 innings due to darkness. Vandy's Reds reliever teammate & close friend Harry Gumbert pitched the final 4 innings. For the record, the Bums used a total of 4 pitchers in this pitching marathon.

After 71 years, this still stands as being a ML record for the longest game resulting in a 0-0 tie.

This would prove to be one of Vandy's greatest games as he set career highs in innings pitched (15 innings), strikeouts (14) and a miniscule 2 walks.
For Vander Meer, this was quite an accomplishment in of itself as he struggled throughout his career to not walk batters. In his own words he called this "the old bugaboo".

I was able to pair an exceedingly rare full ticket to this game and paired it with a press photo taken of Reds hurlers Vandy and Gumbert immediately after the game.

Whoa that is an amazing ticket. Great find Scott