Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
June is starting out to be a great month for pickups, as I was able to scratch a great ticket off my want list.

On Sept. 11th, 1946 starting pitcher Johnny Vander Meer, of Double No-Hit fame, ended up pitching in one of the great epic pitching battles of all-time against Dodgers starter Hal Gregg & Co.
Vandy pitched the first 15 innings of what ended up being a 0-0 tie against the Bums at Ebbets Field, ending after 19 innings due to darkness. Vandy's Reds reliever teammate & close friend Harry Gumbert pitched the final 4 innings. For the record, the Bums used a total of 4 pitchers in this pitching marathon.

After 71 years, this still stands as being a ML record for the longest game resulting in a 0-0 tie.

This would prove to be one of Vandy's greatest games as he set career highs in innings pitched (15 innings), strikeouts (14) and a miniscule 2 walks.

I was able to pair an exceedingly rare full ticket to this game to a press photo taken of Reds hurlers Vandy and Gumbert immediately after the game.
Very cool Scott! I love you matching it with the photo.