View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 01:37 AM

Default RIP Lawrence Peter

Very sad news indeed. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the national in chicago in i believe 1998; he was one of the autograph guests and was sitting at the table with a friend sitting by his side and nobody was around or waiting in line for an autograph so I'm guessing he was done signing and was just resting. My friend and I walked up to the table and I quipped "Hey Yogi, nobody comes to see you, the line's too long!" (I was attempting to modify one of his famous quotes "Nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded " but forgot the last part). He turned to his friend and laughed and then said "No, it's nobody goes there, it's too crowded". We all had a laugh and my friend thought it was funny that I tried to use one of his own lines on him.

I'm a lifelong red sox fan and Yankees hater but Yogi was and always will be one of my all-time favorite players mostly because of the character he was and his engaging personality and gruff but friendly demeanor. RIP Yogi--you will surely be missed not just by yankees fans but by all fans of the game of baseball.