View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 AM

I struggled with the same question on my Tiger Stadium turnstile. All of the Tiger Stadium stuff sat outside for about seven years prior to the auction and a lot was in bad shape. I was really torn and talked to many people and ultimately refinished it. The main reasons were that is was in bad shape, the pictures below don’t really do justice on how bad it was. The paint was peeling and would fall off with the slightest movement and with a young son and was concerned about lead paint. You can see the original green and at least two coats of orange. I own an air compressor and was going to spray paint it but came to the same conclusion as Jim VB that it would have been too nice. When it was time for paint, I'm sure they sent Johnny Maintenance guy down to the hardware store and he slapped it on with a brush. The oranges were definitely two different shades so I found what I thought was a good match that would maintain the integrity of the item. I made sure to leave some of the original green showing on the underside just like I found it and also reapplied the same number. I'm glad I did it, it’s much more pleasing to the eye refinished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 522.jpg (69.3 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 527.jpg (68.3 KB, 732 views)
File Type: jpg Turnstile.jpg (74.9 KB, 738 views)

Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, vintage Olympic/Team USA baseball and Detroit Tigers.