View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Joe

Default F.F.Baker

Eric, I own the Chesbro and Griffith portraits plus Mattern portrait and Engle batting. One clearly lists his address as 1318 Mosby St. So far only one that has a 150 Piedmont stamp has surfaced. ( I'm sure that can be easily dispelled with all the collectors here). All the rest seen are 350 or 350-460 series Piedmont. Now here is where my memory gets a bit fuzzy as I did the research 5 years ago and had a memory back then. He either lived in Portland or Seattle and was 12 years old in 1911. My thoughts are someone in the family smoked piedmonts, young F.F. saw the Chesbro 150 in a box on dad's dresser from 1909 and got the bug and started saving by the time the 350's were printed. Pack or 2 a day habit and young F.F. amassed a couple hundred quickly. Maybe stamping them so buddy's could get together and admire each others collections without mixing them up. Of course I have no way of proving this but that's the story I like to believe when I look at them. I believe there are 100's of his cards out there. He did live a long life so I don't think he was the one puffing away on the cancer sticks.