View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Lets not forget about Mark Kauffman!! The man was certainly a force to be reckoned with, as he he was the first sports photo editor for Sports Illustrated, and if I'm not mistaken, the youngest photographer to have a piece on the cover of LIFE magazine (17?). I don't know if Type 1s exist of his work or anything, but damn, he did some great stuff!!
I actually considered Sweet, Stein, Salas, Iooss, and Leifer but trimmed it down to the five I listed, and I still stand by them.

Some of the reasons I omitted Sweet, Stein, and Salas is they were basically paparazzi (before it became a dirty word ) then ventured out into the Baseball world.

Of course Castro personally chose Salas to be his top photographer for the new government. Sweet at 91 years old is still with us and I've yet to see one of his TYPE I photos come up for sale. Negatives yes, photographs no. And Stien TYPE I photos are just plain scarce as well. Plenty of TYPE II's came up for sale on ebay the last few years but TYPE I's are few and far between.

Iooss and Leifer TYPE I's pretty much don't exist in the secondary market although I was lucky enough to win a pair of Iooss TYPE I's some years back in a charity auction for SI photographer VJ Lovero's family shortly after he passed away at 44.

So there you have it... the five I chose were great Baseball photographers and their original TYPE I photographs are available in auctions from time to time. My top two criteria.

Here is my Walter Iooss 11x14 TYPE I signed photo of Sandy Koufax during his no-hitter in Philly.

koufaxIOOSS.jpg