View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

I was unaware of this thread until the seller posted a 54 Aaron tonight. For a card of this magnitude, I was tempted to make an offer. But red flags started flying right away. No returns is a problem. The blanket guarantee of unaltered cards sticks out-I am fine with it for his collection. But I would have to ask, were all 300 star cards you had never seen before personally examined by you for trimming, etc? I don't know what to make of the payment plan. I'm no snitch, but this feels like it's against ebay policy. Additionally, the phone number (which I know is against listing policy) is listed to the carrier Onvoy, which is a voip phone. Also, coincidentally, Onvoy is a known proxy for the millions of spoof calls Americans receive daily.

By no means am I insulting this person's intelligence, but I think a savvy seller should have drummed up press/media over a find like this. Beckett Media is the first one that comes to mind. If that Shotwell Ruth guy can get on local news, so can this guy. Wtf else is going on in Reno?? Legacy auction houses basically exist for stuff like this. Striking a deal with PSA was an option. Plenty of slabs have collection monikers on the label-and as we know "Lucky 7" and "Dimitri Young" slabs command premiums. "The Shoebox Find" on 300 slabs of fabulous NM cards could have helped-especially on the 1952 Topps Mantles. Anyways, the seller promises this is the rollout of the high end cards. When those 52 Mantles are posted, watch out...there's not a single legit raw one for sale there now.