View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Greg Ecklund

Rhys said it best...when I read the part about there being no authentic Waddell signatures I laughed a little as I can send him several auction catalogues where examples were sold.

A lot of experts that are trying to get their name in the papers like to throw out statements that 90% or some such number are fakes in order to drum up some publicity. If you include crap like the stuff Coach's Corner sells I suppose you could make a case for that, but the number of suspect autographed items sold in actual reputable auction houses is much smaller than that.

I'm torn on the whole Coach's Corner racket...on one hand I'd love to see the doors kicked in at the place and see whoever runs it thrown in jail. On the other, if somebody wins a Ty Cobb signed baseball for $536 and doesn't think something is wrong...the old saying about a fool and his money would apply.

In the end a lot of vintage autographed items require at least some degree of faith...the key is to be smart and acquire items that require as little faith as possible.