View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Mikeknapp

Default Three Rivers Stadium Model

Early last year I picked up the plastic model of Three Rivers Stadium on the right. It was listed on eBay a couple of years prior to my purchase and I missed it. I had not seen one prior to this, nor had I come across another until a couple of weeks ago when I purchased the one on the left. When I first purchased the white version I made the assumption that it was not likely produced for retail sale. It is made of a light fragile plastic and the name stamped on the bottom A.J. Digiacobbe was the same as a commercial real estate developer in Pittsburgh. Due to these factors I believed that it was an architectural model likely used as part of a display related to the 1971 World Series.

Now that I have purchased another I have to question that theory. I thought that the gray on the recently purchased model was painted on. When I received it I learned that it was actually constructed with gray molded plastic. The scoreboard sticker is purple rather than black and the text on the bottom of the model is upside-down relative to it’s placement on the white version. Has as anyone ever seen these before? If so have you seen other versions? Perhaps it was a model kit sold as a souvenir? I know this is a stretch and my question will likely interest a small number of members here. Nonetheless, any information or ideas related to it's origin would be most appreciated. Thanks for indulging me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graphic1.jpg (70.2 KB, 146 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)