View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Default Searching for my grandfather's baseball card - SUCCESS!!

I wanted to let all who viewed my post that I have been successful in obtaining BOTH Wally Kimmick cards issued in the 1920s. Rhett Yeakley sent me both cards from his collection for FREE! Thank-you again Rhett for your extreme generousity! I've attached a picture of my 88 year old mother (Wally's daughter) holding the cards.

I thought you might be interested in a few of her memories of Wally. He was discovered by Branch Rickey who helped him start his career. My mom was born after Wally's baseball career had ended. As a girl, she recalls neighborhood kids coming to her house, ringing the doorbell, and asking "Can your dad come out to play?". Wally was like a big kid who never grew up. He loved inventing games and playing with the neighborhood kids. He stayed active in baseball by umpiring games and playing in old-timers games well into his later years. In retirement, he ruled the shuffleboard courts at his condo in Ft. Lauderdale. He never lost that competitive edge.

As for my memories, when I was about 8 years old my parents left me with Wally for a week while they went on vacation. He immediately took me to a nearby park for batting practice. After about 3 days of non-stop batting, the seams on the ball began to fray. Wally declared "by week's end, you're going to hit the cover off of this ball!" I eventually did! I left that week with grandpa with a real feeling of accomplishment!

My brothers, sisters and I all have fond memories of the time we spent with Wally. We always wondered if Wally had a baseball card. We now know the answer to this question is 'yes' and we have the proof! We will always treasure these cards (nearly 100 years old!). Thank-you to everyone who assisted me with the search.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pat (2).jpg (76.2 KB, 504 views)