View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 06:52 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Very nice catch Pat.

Another interesting thing is that it looks like the Pi50 has a solid dot while the EPDG has a ring of color. The scans aren't good enough to figure out which might have been earlier (If it's a mistake being corrected or progressive damage.) Do you have any of the actual cards? The card with the crumpled nail always has an indent from the nail itself, and I would hazard a wild guess that the circle is the head of a nail that was working its way loose. If there's an indent then that's the likely explanation.

I think the P150's were at least three different print runs with slightly redone art between them. Three for sure, and maybe a fourth. I'm not sure that differences will be found for all the cards, so perhaps run 1 was done three times, run 2 only twice and run 3 only once.
The 350's as far as I can figure were a totally new thing and the art was slightly redone for at least some of the subjects if not all of them. I think we'll eventually see some really tough cards that I might technically class as wrong backs - cards with the 150 art but 350 backs.
Hi Steve,
The Piedmont I posted is mine I don't think there's an indentation but I'll
take a closer look at it.

One of the EPDG's has the solid dot while the other has the ring and there's
also varying examples with the PD150's. My thought was that it was related to
how much ink was in that area. As you point out there might be a very small % of PD 350's with this mark that came from the run that produced the tough
350's that Luke is talking about like Lundgen.

Here's scans of the remaining 8 PD150's I found.
As you can see the spot is very faint on the last two.
Owen A PD 150.jpgOwen B PD 150.jpg
Owen C PD 150.jpgOwen D PD 150.jpg
Owen F PD 150.jpgOwen G PD-.jpg
Owen J.jpgOwen K.jpg