View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Matt

Default it was me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954
Was lucky enough to pick up this 1937 Yankees team signed sheet with a pencil Lou Gehrig signature on it at a small auction in Michigan. However, congratulations also must go out to the other bidder who bid against me on this lot. He won several 1937/1938 Whos Whos books for $53.00. Inside he found several signatures on one page which no one else spotted and among them on a Pirates photo page were Pie Traynor, both Waners and a nice Honus Wagner....bummer for me--I should have looked much closer!
Hey Dave, I didn't know you were on the forum!! As Dave noted, I was the other bidder on the Gehrig page and the one that picked up the Who's Who books with the autographs noted above plus Ki Ki Cuyler, Mule Haas, Floyd Young, Bill Brubaker, Gus Suhr, Tommy Padden, Johnny Dickshot, Goodwin Rosen, Van Mungo, T. Brack, and John Hudson.....plus a separate signed envelope by Casey Stengel in 1958. Not to be too critical of Dave's description, but I was also fortunate enough to pick up the Stengel signature in that auction sales total, as well . So, it was a bittersweet auction for me after the disappointment of coming in second on the Gehrig page as it was VERY poorly advertised in the auction listing and I was hoping (for all 5 days prior to the sale) that it could be bought for peanuts (next time you travel to Michigan, Dave, please call for permission first)......however, after meeting Dave after the sale, it didn't sting as bad after realizing he was a good guy and not a bit arrogant or cocky......and I was relieved nobody else bothered to flip through the Who's Who books!!

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7895.jpg (74.8 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7896.jpg (73.0 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7897.jpg (72.7 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7899.jpg (72.5 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 050.jpg (57.8 KB, 488 views)