View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default The Find that Never Was....

Posted By: Brian Koyama

My story is quite typical. My wife's aunt knew that I am a die hard baseball fan and collected cards. Two years ago, one of her co-workers husband had recently passed and told the aunt that she had some stuff she wanted to get rid of, particularily baseball cards. She said her husband collected for years and had old cards of Ruth, Gehrig, etc. kept in plastic sheets in the closet. Well, I got a call from this lady asking if I would come down to take a look at the cards. Of course I jumped at the chance and headed down with all my guides in hand. Much to my dismay, all the "old" Ruth, Gehrig, etc. cards were from the Conlon reprint collection from a few years back and from the Renatta Gallasso reprints from the 80's. I spent a couple hours going through all the binders and the only card worth any money was a 1993 Topps (Marlins first year issue) Derek Jeter card. I explained that her husband was probably like me and he collected cards he liked and didn't care of the monetary value. He probably like to take the cards out and look at the players and remember some of the old timers (he was in his late 80's). That brought a smile to her face and she did recall how he used to always talk about the games he used to go to when he was young. She gave all the cards to her daughter who had some sons that could enjoy them.