View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default The Find that Never Was....

Posted By: Phil

Here's my second such story that happened recently. I'm hoping maybe another forum member may know more about what happened to these cards.

About a year ago, I turn on the local (Cape Cod, MA) radio station as I get ready for work in the morning and I hear the 2 men that run the talk show talking about their baseball card collections that they had as a kid. So then they start taking phone calls from listeners and you hear all the typical stories, i.e. "My mother threw them away...I got interested in girls....I went away to college.....etc., etc."

Then they take a call from a gentleman that starts explaining that he has UNOPENED PACKS of baseball cards from the 1940s. The hosts start balking at his story so he tells them he actually has about 2 CASES OF UNOPENED BASEBALL CARDS from the 1940s. They start joking with him, "yeah right". He says that he really has them and he will bring them down to the studio sometime to show them. He then explains that his brother is very ill and needs some medical attention and that they don't have any money, so he asks them if they knew the best way to sell their stash to raise some money for medical expenses. They didn't have a good answer.

So I step into action and email the hosts and explain that I collect vintage cards and that their best deal would be to sell to a collector as opposed to a dealer, because a dealer will only buy them at a percentage of what they are worth so they can turn a profit, but a collector will give them a much better deal.

I hear nothing for weeks, but about 3 weeks later I turn on the radio and hear that the gentleman was just in the studio with the cards and they told him to contact me directly because of the email I had sent them. They actually give him my name and the name of my business on the air and tell him to contact "Our friend Phil down at ..."

Needless to say, I start anticipating every person coming into my shop that day, but no cards. It's been over a year now and I have a feeling someone else listening to the radio show probably drove right down to the studio and caught the guy in the parking lot with the cards. What could have been?

If anyone else knows of this find, I would love to hear from you.