View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default The Find that Never Was....

Posted By: Bob

I remember back in 1981 when Donruss and Fleer appeared to rival Topps, everyone in the world was collecting these sets and "putting away" cases of cards to pay for their kids' college tuition. In those early 80's, I slowly got back in to collecting baseball cards, which I had given up in 1963 when I discovered girls and "cool" things. I remember a guy who we all considered a "nerd" who was buying nothing but caramel cards back then when no one wanted them. There were a few guys buying tobacco cards but NOONE bought caramel cards, the red-headed stepchildren of cards. Eventually I moved on to tobacco cards in the mid 80's and after letting the hobby go again, came back in with a passion, starting all over again in the eary 90's. I didn't buy any caramel cards until about 6-7 years ago and was hooked.
Oh yes, the nerd? He has, he tells me (and he is a really nice guy not a nerd at all) that somewhere in his attic he has complete runs of most of the caramel sets from 1908-1915 including the E99 and E100 sets in beautiful shape. He hasn't gone up there and looked at them for 20 years but he's sure they are still there!!! I have told him time and time again to sell them, now is a good time (relatively speaking) and asked to at least let me see them but he isn't worried and says they aren't going anywhere. I hope an attic fire doesn't hit him or he will be sorrily posting his own thread here about being dense.