View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 12:10 AM
Tim B
Banned

Default Enjoy it - this will be my only post

First off, I am quite impressed with the number of people who offer their opinion of a private transaction that happened between two members having heard one side of the story. I think 53 posts and 2000+ views is pretty amazing. What you will hear from me is what actually happened. You are aware of some of what has been said so far (at least by me, though not by Steven). I have every message Steven sent to me, as well - time stamped. None will be posted publicly simply because I don't think that is good etiquette or precedent for board members. However, I will paraphrase. Form your own opinions.

My name is Tim Begley - this is the rule, I believe, right? Post your full name. I'm not quite positive you have to when defending your reputation as opposed to attacking another's but I will since I have nothing to hide.

So here's some relevant information on me. First, I have no professional experience as a seller, dealer, auctioneer, graded or manufacturer of baseball cards. Occasionally, I make the hard choice to sell off some of my cards to buy more. As such, I have only two transactions on here (both sales) and one piece of bad behavior, which absolutely no one would even know about unless I mentioned it. However, since I'm honest, I'll start there. I snapped at a guy who inquired on a lot last night in a PM. I shouldn't have and I apologized. I was having a rough night and won't bore you with details. (And, if he's among the 2000+ reading, you know who you are and I truly am sorry.) As for the two transactions prior to this, one was for a 53 Bowman Campanella SGC 50 and the other for an ungraded 1968 Topps Posters Mickey Mantle box cut out. In both cases, the buyers sought me out with their bid - essentially setting the price - and I agreed. I guess it won't be hard to figure out who bought what now will it.

So, here's the original lot; just seems odd that it's not been posted in this thread yet. Or I just didn't see it.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238614

After my friend gave me a few bucks for the Pin Up and the Jay, I sold a 1956 Topps #135 card to Steven for $250. We arrived at this price because he said he'd pay 200 against my 300 offer and I suggested we could meet in the middle if he really wanted the card other wise I'll stay and hope for the best. At NO POINT was price contingent on grade; what was very important was that he be able to sell it for more money. I clearly stated I think it would grade a 3 but I am not a professional and I offer no guarantee. I packed it well (my cost) and shipped it with tracking for free (my cost). My listing was posted for all to see. I wasn't trying to get one over on anyone. Since I don't have a scanner, I take a picture with my phone. So, knowing the picture sucks and is often not even facing the right direction because I can't even post it right, I do what most people don't and provided an accurate description. Every flaw you see on that card is in the description. Had he asked for more pictures, he'd have gotten more cell phone shots so I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

Now, today I get an email at 10 am, wherein a full refund was demanded and the reason given was 'I am not going to make enough money flipping this card.' I do not believe that to be valid reason and told him, quite politely, to merely sell the card for $250 and he'd have his money back. Since that is around what I paid, I think he can get it too with no problem. I walk away from my computer and go about my day, head off to a retirement party and get home about two hours ago to find...this thread and two other messages.

The first message basically says, I am giving you one hour to respond to this message before I go trash your reputation. The second is I am going to now tarnish your reputation. Shortly thereafter, this thread is created.

To sum up, he got no response to an arbitrary deadline he set for that I was unaware of and then proceeded to create this thread - about which I could not care less - in an attempt to bully me and publicly shame me into giving him a refund.

So here's my response to this thread now that the truth has been told:

Steven, this is the real world and not the Ultimate Trade Up. When grown men make deals, there are winners and losers. Every person on this board has suffered a touch of buyers remorse or felt like they over paid for a card, myself included. The difference is that most of us deal with it and move on. Certainly, running around trashing people is the way you choose to handle it. I'm a bad person because you feel you overpaid for a card. If that's way you want it and you want to sing about it on the internet to the net54 members, feel free. However, any hope of remediation (a partial refund, a better deal on another card, etc.) is now completely out the window despite being completely realistic less than 14 hours ago. And you actually have no one but yourself to thank.

As for the peanut gallery, have at it guys. Team Steve or Team Tim? Somebody print some T-shirts up!

If any moderator wants to verify this info, PM me and I'll give you my log on and password information and you can check every word of what I have said. Steven, please don't ever contact me again and good luck in your trade up.