View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Rich Klein

Default One other reason

Names are good --- is that believe it or not, there might be people with axes to grind, and they might even be compensated for those efforts --- to make posts about certain people, certain auction houses; certain grading companies, etc.

There was a case a couple of years back, where the CEO of Whole Foods Company went to a chat board to post negative things about not just a competitor but someone they were interested in purchasing as well.

Here is a link to one story about that situation

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...e_blunder.html

If I did not have to put my name out there, I could do something like this to hurt PSA/BGS/SGC or any of a number of auction houses. I might even be an employee of a competitor.

Yes I do get the privacy and security issue, but you know -- I had people over at my house to give me quotes on insulation --- and one guy showed me what he used to give me the quotes -- and EVERYTHING was a public record issue. Yes, he was/is very legit -- his quote was within 3 percent of the other quote I got.

My point is, there are more dangers to people not knowing who you are for this board then people knowing who you are. And, if you don't want people to know who you are -- stay out of the controversial threads and stay in the vast majority of threads.

Rich