Thread: Women In Sports
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Bill Boyd

Just a quick story.
My wife's name is Cartha Lynn and she has always hated the name, Her mother, now deceased, always told her, she was named after a childhood friend of hers.
My wife, born in Knoxville, and Cartha being a very rare name, I decided to do a google search. Who was Cartha Lynn born about 1931 in Knoxville.
Only one name showed up, a Cartha Lynn Doyle, b: 1929 in Knoxville, just a two year difference from my mother-in-law. As I checked further, this Cartha Lynn Doyle, played one year for the Rockford Peaches. They called her "Duckey Doyle".
Well, I had to write her a letter with what information I had, and supplied our telephone number, without my wife knowing.
Tee Hee Hee.
A couple weeks later the phone rang and my wife answered, it was Duckey Doyle. We found out that Ms. Doyle and my mother-in-law both attended Young High school in Knoxville. However, she did not remember my mother in law, but my wife and Ms. Doyle had a great conversation mainly about how they both hated their first names.
She kept up her baseball involvement as an umpire in the Knoxville area, and has been inducted into the Knoxville Hall of Fame.
The called ended with Ms. Doyle giving us an open invitation to her home whenever we were in the Knoxville area. She was touched knowing a past childhood friend had named a child after her. And no, we are not in the will.
We have been in the area (Nashville) on a couple of occasions, but my wife is shy and said no to the visit. Too bad, it would have been a great visit.

Last edited by billyb; 07-26-2015 at 10:49 PM.