View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 01:59 PM
ßrën.døn ßig.åløw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Well I would assume PSA would have caught recoloring, so the 8.5 CAN'T be the same card as the 9, whereas there is no inconsistency between the 6 and the 9.
I agree, PSA definitely would have caught that. But when the 8.5 and 9 were printed, they were printed identically. Before someone scuffed the front on the 8.5, those cards were indistinguishable from one another. At that point it doesn't take a huge leap of faith to imagine that the 6 and the 8.5 and the 9 were at one time indistinguishable from one another, right when they were made at the factory. We know the 8.5 was scuffed and the 9 survived pretty well. It could just be the case that the 6 was a third identical card that wound up with some caramel stains from being packaged.

I guess most people would say, "well duh." But I actually think it's surprising, since I've never seen cards from that set (or other sets from that era with low populations) that have examples of cards with IDENTICAL printing patterns/defects/etc (differences in condition aside).

And yea, I totally see the reason why someone wouldn't want to disclose the evidence. I just really want to know, because despite all my doubts I cannot deny that the 6 and the 9 being the same card is certainly plausible. The cynic in me would even say it's likely, given the shadiness of the hobby.

Last edited by poorlydrawncat; 07-11-2015 at 02:04 PM.