View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Default If you could travel back in time...

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

I was driving home from work tonight, and I was thinking about this thread, and something occurred to me.

If we all had the opportunity to go back in time to any year we wanted to, to buy baseball cards, it wouldn't matter. None of us would buy modern cards.

Could you see any one of us in 1933?

"Jeez, this hobby is a nightmare. Used to be just one company, making beautiful baseball cards. Now, look at all these companies, making these ugly modern cards. Goudey, Tattoo Orbit, George C Miller, all these others. If you're a kid today, trying to collect baseball cards, where do you start? What set do you collect?

And GOUDEY, what a ripoff! What a marketing scam! They actually put FOUR Babe Ruths in the set, just to get us to have to keep buying packs, over and over again. And the Lajoie? I'm convinced it doesn't even EXIST. I've gone through cases of the stuff, and haven't gotten ONE.

And you can't possibly tell me that it's worth it to pay all that money for this Ruth guy anyway. Talk to me in fifty years, when Babe Ruth is forgotten with all these other modern players. Cap Anson, now HE was a PLAYER.

All this modern garbage is killing the hobby."

-Al