Thread: Remorse
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Bingo! There are cards I didn't buy that I would really like to have owned and now know I will not ever own because they got to freakin' expensive, then there are cards that I thought were good investments but for whatever reason I didn't buy them. A dozen of the right card purchases 30 years ago (when I was busy chasing mainstream postwar cards) and I would be retired today. But in the words of the great philosopher Schlemiel of Mumzer, whadayagonnado?
Really relate to a lot of that! More sellers remorse than buyers remorse.
Some specifics:

Bought a rare test issue in an auction many years ago - sold shortly after for about 2k. 10 years later the exact same card (the guy who purchased from me died) sells at auction for 23K

Bought a huge Clemente collection with a really nice 1968 3D - right around the time PSA started. I sold it raw for $6500 and was really happy about it till the guy I sold it to got it graded (PSA 9!) and a week after I sold it to him it was a 30K card.

Mom passed in 2008 - I got a little $$ as a result that I wanted to put into collectibles. I was SUPER close to pulling the trigger on a PSA 8.5 Clemente rookie for 10k - nuff said - bought some freakin comic books that have barely appreciated instead!

Passed up the most incredible 58 Kahns Clemente for ~$500 (very likely the one residing in a PSA 6 holder today)

While I have paid more at times than I believed to be fair market and felt remorseful about doing so, Almost every time I have been grateful to have "overpaid" at the time for something that today would be "stolen" for the price I originally paid.