View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Default Just curious- who out there is collecting these sets?

Posted By: tbob

As anyone who has collected the M116 set knows, there are about 30-35 cards which are downright impossible and are never seen at shows or on ebay. I think Cicotte and Smokey Joe Wood would be the two most difficult. If anyone has either in ANY condition, let me know, I'd be glad to trade or buy them.
The other thing which is worth noting is that a lot of collectors seem to think that the black backs are worth more than the blue backs. In the one series in which both backs were issued, the blues are far rarer and more valuable, yet you continue to see ads for the "rare black backs." Now that I have examples of both of each card in that series, I can share that info
Finally, one of the reasons the "toughies" are so expensive is that because the way M116s were distributed, you see a much, much higher number in great shape than, for instance, tobacco or caramel card sets of the same era. When you do spot a scarce card, it is usually in an 8 or 9 holder and you find yourself bidding against not only fellow Sporting Life collectors but a lot of collectors who pay high dollar for highly graded cards.