View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The Ruth underworld is huge - it's much worse than I could ever have dreamed when I first started my search. It took me a couple of years of intense studying and research before I finally pulled the trigger on one. What I eventually decided was that, while most forgers are not great, there are some that are so good that I could not purchase a Ruth autograph simply based on the signature. When I was ready to pull the trigger on a typed letter on Ruth letterhead, I compared the type fonts of the letterhead and the typewritten letter, to other examples from the period, and didn't bid because of minuscule differences that probably didn't even exist. No cuts for me, no baseballs, no photos, and certainly no '33 Goudeys. But when I finally did acquire one, I was very confident.

Now I'm going through the same ordeal with Lou Gehrig, and I've even passed on examples that were priced right and had the go-ahead from two highly-respected experts on this forum. I think there are a lot of guys here who go about it the same way I do, so we are very protective of the hobby, and probably over-cynical when it comes to posts about the uber-autos.

You would be surprised how many fake Ruths are proudly posted here by new owners, and I bite my lip and do not respond. I've sent a few PM's instead, and gotten my ass chewed. It's a very sensitive subject.
Scott my first authentic ruth item was a fan letter with a reply from ruth. I took the Same precautions as you. Needless to say I think you and I have the same understanding on ruth items as I have stood away from just autos, I simply look for complete package type items. I hope you can take a step back and realize I was looking to share an authentic ruth auto that is being replicated so none of us are taken in this scam.

Last edited by Nyygameused; 07-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.