View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Or collect what you enjoy, with funds your family will not need...
This, exactly this.

It's kind of titillating to speculate on the future of the hobby, sure.
I'm sure that's why we're all reading this thread. A bit of drama is always... well, dramatic.

Sure there are demographic trends galore out there, and who knows how they'll turn out to affect the hobby for better or worse.
But as many have said, I also have the collecting gene, as I'm sure nearly everyone on this board does. The urge to collect won't go away no matter the generation, although we can't predict what the focus of that collecting will be.

We have an amazing hobby with a great history, and I hope it thrives. As others have also said, my personal mantra is to only spend funds on cards that are not otherwise needed. There's really no anxiety with that approach, just the thrill of the hunt.

Would I be disappointed if I woke up tomorrow and my collection wasn't really worth anything? -- yes. Would I regret having collected? -- no flipping way.
Honestly my biggest beef with our currently healthy market is that I'd like to buy a nice T206 Bat Off Cobb in midgrade and it will now cost me another 50% more because I dilly-dallied over the past few years...
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)