View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Well, as somebody who has been playing the guitar for 25 years, studying a myriad of styles, and incorporating rock, prog, metal, blues, classical and jazz into my playing, I can say the Rolling Stone' Top 100 Guitarists of all-time list is shit. That they listed Kurt Cobain (#12) ahead of true virtuosos like Jeff Beck (#14), Brian May (#39), Ritchie Blackmore (#55), Eddie Van Halen (#70), David Gilmour (#82), and Randy Rhoads (#85), while completely excluding such greats as Al DiMeola, Allan Holdsworth, Pat Metheny, Andres Segovia, Joe Satriani, Stanley Jordan, Robert Cray, Adrian Belew, Eric Johnson, Joe Pass, Steve Rothery and John Petrucci....is laughable at best.

I've known a lot of guitarists, and not a one of them thought the Rolling Stone list was worth the paper it was printed on.
You are referring to this list that didn't have Prince even listed and it is crap. The list with Prince at 33 has Cobain at 73 and all those guys you listed well ahead of him. Beck 5, Van Halen 8, Gilmour 14, May 26, Rhoads 36 and Blackmore 50.

That list is the opinions of other professional guitarists. The top 3 is pretty well established, Hendrix, Clapton, Page. The further you go down the list, the more subjective it becomes. The point still stands, while Prince was a great guitarist, he was no where near the best living guitarist.