View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Although your items are interesting from an historical perspective, I still think that the estimate I gave above is fairly accurate. Unfortunately, these do not command the attention of most collectors as either of us would hope. Somebody bought several such notebooks intact a number of years ago and proceeded to break them up into groups pf 3-5 pages. These groupings appeared on eBay from various sources for some time and never drew much collector interest. They can really be equated to the trove of Ty Cobb check stubs that made the rounds about the same time. Those generated more interest due to fans' continued fascination with Cobb. Also, some of those check stubs were either signed "Ty" or "Cobb", thereby creating holographic examples that any collector could afford. One enterprising young college student even went so far as to purchase as many of the aforementioned stub varieties as he could. He then paired a "Ty" stub with a surname counterpart, thereby creating a "full name" "signature". He told me that he made quite a killing off of his idea. Here's to you, Chad. Getting a little off track here...

Bender has been left by the wayside in terms of sheer popularity/collectibility. Despite being fairly rare in single-signed ball form, such items bring much less than one would expect for a HOFer who has been dead more than half a century. These sort of statistics always serve to trouble me, as I've always been much more fascinated by rarity than popularity.