View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default scamming rises to a new level

Posted By: steve k

Gary - You are doing exactly what the scammer wants you to do. I look at a person's intentions and other things when analysing someone's honesty, not the evidence that they want to portray. Sort of like a detective would do. The main reason this lady/guy is a scammer has been pointed out in this forum many times. Why would she (the person most probably is a he) not send the cards to PSA? She/he for spending a $20 grading fee would get thousands more back per card on some of these cards for a PSA graded card versus an ungraded card. She/he clearly states in the "me" outline that she/he is familiar with PSA and Beckett. Why not just get the cards graded at PSA and then list them on ebay? Why not? - Because there either aren't any real cards or they are reprints. And if you think this person's money back guarantee means anything - then that is being naive.

The last thing I'm going to do is waste much time analysing the scans from a scammer. I have handled and seen many thousands of 50's and 60's cards. As a kid actually opening up packs in the late 50's through the mid 60's and actively trading and "flipping" them. Plus actively buying and selling them now. As stated, I'm not going to intensely analyse scans from a scammer, but I did previously briefly review each lot scan. Some of the scans are poor quality reprints - I have seen much better quality reprints. Also - almost every card listed is perfectly centered - having a perfectly centered collection such as this given the circumstances is about as close to the definition of "impossible" as can be gotten.

In the business I have been involved in for 27 years, it entails recognizing people whose intentions sometimes are to buy as much merchandise on credit as possible without any intentions of paying for it. A type of scamming. I very rarely get fooled by these people. I dislike scammers and this forum has even taught me a thing or two about them, and taught me much about pre-WW2 cards, so I like to "give-back" so that others don't get scammed. Trying to eliminate all the baseball card scammers on ebay is like going out in the backyard and stepping on all the ants you see trying to get rid of them. The scammers will always be here, but at least we can try to eliminate the real hard-core bad ones. The end result of this effort is that it helps our great hobby. You have my opinion about the cards - the choice is yours. The choice you should make is to walk away (RUN away) from this ebay seller - buy your high value cards off the reputable sellers who advertise in the buy/sell thread on this forum, the reputable sellers on ebay, and other reputable sellers and auctions. Good luck!