View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Dan Bl@u

I always love looking at past "goals" thread to see how my interests have evolved over time. Here is last year's thread to help remind everyone.

Here were my 2017 goals, per that thread:

(1) Finish my T209-1 set (currently 15/16). Achieved - I finally picked up a McGeehan and completed my first prewar set!
(2) Add 2-4 more N28 or N162 baseball players. Achieved - I picked up N28 Caruthers and Comiskey, and N162 Andrews.
(3) Add 10-20 cards to my T205 set (currently 77/208). Achieved - I added 26 cards, including 2 HOFers and 3 SP/Variations. Now at 103/208.
(4) Add a reasonable amount of cards to my other sets without going completely overboard. Mostly Achieved, although "going completely overboard" is subject to some interpretation. I picked up 30 E92-family cards, which are my new hobby love. However, I made very little progress on my E121, 1934 Goudey, and 1953 Bowman sets, which are now firmly on the backburner.
(5) DON'T CARRY A PAYPAL CREDIT BALANCE! Achieved!...although it took me well into the year to get to this point.

In addition to these, one of my big achievements of the year was to deal with how I collect modern cards. (Skip ahead ye who hate shiny things.) Although prewar is my main focus, I do like collecting some modern cards to keep me connected to the modern game. However, I was getting overrun with volume, and my collection was completely directionless. I ended up selling 99% of my cards, and decided to focus exclusively on Bowman Chrome & Topps Chrome blue refractors of star players' prospect and RC cards. I have about 60 cards in this collection at the moment, and am very happy to have narrowed my focus there.

My top five collecting goals for 2018 will be -

(1) Add one more N28 and one more N162.
(2) Add 15-20 more T205s, hopefully including Cobb, WaJo, or Young.
(3) Add 15-20 more E92-family cards, including at least one new back.
(4) Add 20 more modern prospect/RC blue refractors.
(5) Save more money and spend less on cards (the hardest goal, of course).

Happy collecting to everyone in 2018!