View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 09:08 AM

Default HOF - True or False

I was telling my wife about how Ty Cobb's Mom shot and killed his Dad (the husband) and I pulled up Ty's info on Wikipedia to read her the story. I noticed in his profile that he received 98.23% of the vote for the HOF, and I wondered whether that the highest? So I looked it up and man was I surprised by the results. A few true false questions below and then the link the HOF voting by percentage.

1. Chipper Jones got a higher percentage of HOF votes than Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, and Willie Mays?

2. Tom Seaver has the second highest percentage of all pitchers, behind only Mariano Rivera (who is the only person with 100%)?

3. Ted Williams, Stan Musial, and Roberto Clemente all had a lower percentage of votes than Chipper Jones?

4. Both Tim Raines and Goose Gossage got over 2% more votes in favor of HOF than Walter Johnson?

Did voting change at some point to make it much easier for modern players to get a larger portion of a vote than earlier players? Going strictly by voting percentage (link below), you would have a very warped sense of the best players of all time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...ng_Percentages

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 02-12-2023 at 09:09 AM.