View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
When I was a kid in the late 50s and through the mid 60s, baseball was unquestionably the National Pastime. In the NY metro area, we could watch or listen to a game every day of the season. The baseball season was six months long. Football games were once a week for three months or so. There were no pre-season games on television. There was a championship game but no playoffs or Super Bowl. We had no cable or satellite tv so you usually got only one or two televised football games per week. I collected football cards only because at the end of the football season, Murray, the guy who owned the local candy store would give them away rather than throw them away. He probably sold more baseball cards in a day than he sold football cards in a month.
Very interesting. Oddly enough, I started collecting football cards first, then only bought baseball because there was no football to buy during baseball season. Buying the baseball cards eventually made me a huge baseball fan. This was 1980 though.