View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default PALMEIRO SUSPENDED FOR STEROIDS

Posted By: J Levine

Let me first say that I do believe steriods should be banned. I think the damage done by dangerous drugs goes beyond the athletes and can be found all the way into grade school these days.

Second, steroids in baseball rarely favor the player. Yes, it makes you stronger and lets you hit more homeruns but as anyone who played the game for any amount of time knows, it is bat speed and hand eye-coordination. Muscle mass does not translate into homeruns...Ted Williams was always correct when he said that the bat speed is the key to hitting homeruns.

It is also ridiculous to compare pictures of athletes in their twenties to athletes in their mid-30s...human metabolism slows down as you age and nearly everyone puts on weight...many of us would love to be at the weight we were at in college (myself included). In athletes, that weight can be translated to muscle mass with training, etc. Is Shaq on steriods? Was Charles Barkley? Agassi? Arnold Palmer (although golf is barely a sport)? Dan Marino? Joe Montana? Clemens? Ryan? They all put on weight as their career progressed.

I am more concered with Palmerio and others (possibly) lying. Come clean and admit you did it. Tell the world it was wrong. Tell them the negative effects. Be a champion for turning your life around. Maybe I will vote you into the HOF.

My opinions.

Joshua