View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thur/Fri report

Thursday arrived at opening time and walked the aisles all day until closing met many Net54 and OBC members and had “lunch” with the Net54 football collecting crew. I bought quite a few cards today I just started collecting the 50s/60s Parkhurst hockey cards and I added a big stack even though I can’t tell what year is what yet lol. I also just started 1960 Nu-Card Baseball Highlights (post card sized) and made several purchases. First large purchase I bought a 1954 Dan Dee Mickey Mantle a card which I have been seeking for several years and that card finished my set my wantlist noted PSA1 for around $400 was my target price but this was a few years old and prices have gone up I advised the dealer of my price point (dealer is a friend) he said he was into the card for more than that. Did not see another Dan Dee until the next day one Dealer had three and his bottom line price was very slightly more than what I paid although his were slabbed. (2 days later I’m still glad I got it lol card was $540 it would probably grade a 2 or maybe 3).

Plenty of tables to sit down at IX Center and they have a coffee kiosk and the guy makes a great Americano which served as a pick me up each day.

I met Scott Brockelman owner of Brockelman Auctions I have won lots a few times and wanted to say hi. I pictured a frail thin old guy in my mind. Oh crap was I wrong lol my Auction payments will never be tardy! Great to meet OBC and Net54 friends old and new!

Picked up two hits 1935 Goudey 4 in 1 I’m down to four cards left for my master set 707 cards had one but Levi knows what he has lol!

Final pickup story for day two 1953 Topps World on Wheels cards 160-180 are SP very tough come with blue Backs I have all these cards 171-180 also can be found with Red backs tougher still I have not even seen one but new dealer friend sold me two of them $50 each I was glad to get them.

After the show OBC members had a BBQ at Sams house it was so great but we got back to the hotel exhausted and didn’t get to sleep until after 1 or so. To tired to report yesterday.

Friday still in shock from spending over $500 on a piece of cardboard I started out slow and no better place than Chandys $1 bargain bazaar to kill some time and settle in. I did purchase a $5 item from him which turned out to be a fake or fantasy card and I went back later and he refunded my purchase. Any semi knowledgeable collector should have know what it was I should have known it was a fantasy piece Chandy is top notch in my book. Then I helped via texting a friend of mine Doug D. Purchase a 1935 Goudey Babe Ruth thanks William Chappell the best took PayPal from Doug D in North Carolina and I’ll get the card to him in the mail.

By now after a couple hours at Chandys and then spending someone else’s money I’m about recovered from my big pickup so let’s get shopping. I restocked my doubles box with beautiful 1959 1962 1964 Topps hi numbers $1 each WTH I’ll upgrade my sets and have plenty to send around to OBC. Bought more Parkhurst hockey and several more bargain box finds. Pick up a nice stack of Civil War News cards I am building nine sets to fit in a binder my favorite set as a kid oh I forgot I purchased a CWN wax wrapper yesterday my first it was $10 a good price I think.

I took a peek into this random cardboard box it was filled up with non sports cards but dealer said he was selling as starter sets. But he had not listed the few 1953 World on Wheels cards that were in there and I told him I needed one card for my set. I gave him the card and he sold it to me for one dollar you guessed it was hi number 171 “Pontiac Strato-Star” hi number with a red back. Yesterday I purchased two of these for $100 today I purchased another but this one was $1. So I’m into these high numbers with red backs for $33 each that’s pretty good right?

We turned the lights off at the IX Center and had a great dinner at this great sports bar. Then back to the hotel by 8pm we are all exhausted. But we will be ready in the AM!

Larry