View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default Net54 Members Are What % of All BB Card Collectors?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

You're including the shiny stuff? And you're including the "occasional" collector?

I coach little league baseball. Last season, I had 12 7-year-old kids on my team. Two of them collected baseball cards. There were three teams of 7-year-olds in my town. Extrapolate that out, and that would mean there are six 7-year-old collectors in my town.

Let's extrapolate further and say there are six 7-year-old collectors in every town in America right now. According to Yahoo Answers, there are 18,443 towns in the United States. If there are six 7-year-old collectors in each one of them, that would mean there are 110,658 7-year-old collectors in the country.

Let's just say, for argument's sake, that nobody in the country who is less than 7 years old collects baseball cards. But let's say, for argument's sake, that there are just as many 8, 9, 10, and 11-year-old collectors as there are 7-year-olds. So that would mean there are 553,290 people under the age of 11 who collect baseball cards.

Let's say that there are half as many people over the age of 11 who collect as there are under the age of 11. I know, that's conservative, but let's just go with it. That would mean there are 829,935 people in this country who collect cards, occasionally.

If I remember correctly, Leon said there are about 1000 different IP addresses that access this board. Let's say that each of those thousand addresses corresponds with a unique individual. Never mind that AOL users have dynamic IP addresses that change with every page you hit. Let's say there are a thousand people.

If my math is correct, that would mean that Net54 users are just a little greater than one tenth of one percent of all the collectors out there.

Right?

-Al