View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Christopher Herman

[QUOTE=GasHouseGang;1806560]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher.herman View Post
This one is mine. Certainly not "high-end" but I've always considered any Ruth card with the position as "pitcher" should fetch a premium.

I always wondered why a Ruth card from 1920 would have the "pitcher" designation. He only pitched a couple of games for the Yankees. When Ruth came to the Yankees in 1920, he threw four innings during a spot start that year, and pitched nine more innings across two games in 1921. Maybe this card came out at the beginning of the 1920 season and most people still thought of him as a pitcher?
My theory on the 1920 W516's was that, since the purchase from Boston was in the off season (January 1920), these cards were printed before the start of the season and therefore the image is Ruth in a Red Sox uniform with the position of "pitcher". The W516 appears to be Ruth "following through" after the M101 pose.

Decide for yourselves:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth.jpg (20.6 KB, 48 views)

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards