View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 09:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
So I weighed the card vs another dozen or so. It is markedly heavier. .032 ounces vs rest clustered around .025 ounces. I had some analog calipers with 1mm increments. It is around 1mm vs approximately 0.5 mm for a comparison.

Still no visible line on borders and nothing shows up under blacklight, but as someone else proposed the edges are "fuzzed" all the way around which conceals whatever is going on. On closer inspection I did notice some wrinkling on the face like when you glue or paste paper and it slides a bit.

So I would say the skeptics were right and it is rebacked. Still a weird choice in my opinion but maybe it was just practice before moving to higher value cards/backs.

I really appreciate everyones thoughts on this. What should I do with the card? Destroy it? Write reback on the back ?

I don't regret buying it as I learned a lot and it was kind of exciting to think I had discovered something new.

I had planned on consigning to REA, but I don't think thats necessary now.

Having measured but not weighed a lot of mine, that would be a clear indication of a rebacking. The ones I have were remarkably consistent in thickness.

Double thickness would seem to indicate two cards glued together. I would try soaking it. At worst you end up with a SLer with a damaged back, and a common with a damaged front. But the card is already in rough shape.

They take soaking well, and if a water soluble glue was used, should come apart easily. It will take time, probably a few hours. But you could put it in a bowl, watch a game or two and check on it.