View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default Sweeney no B on ebay, what is this card really worth?

Posted By: brian parker

In no way do I mean to imply that this seller has done anything, but I thought I would relay my experiences with some T206 cards. Many a moon ago I picked up a group of T206 cards with very white borders. I eventually showed them to Mark MaCrae, who believed them to have been chemically lightened. They even had a fresh out of the laundromat 'bleachy' smell (people, always take the time to stop and smell your cards!) Slightly beside the point, but still upsetting to me to this day, I had a very difficult time securing my money back from the very reputable dealer that I had received the cards from, and eventually had to settle for a partial refund. Cracker Jacks are indeed the cards that most commonly receive this type of treatment (that is why you see so many CJ's with horrendous border nibbles--over time this process seems to make the thin paper used on the cards brittle), but any card is a candidate for the scammer to squeeze more bucks out of the unwary.

Besides the sniff test, does any one know of good way to detect a 'bleached' card?

Brian