View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Larry

Default Thumbs up in the minority

Great! That means increased opportunity in the short term! As well-respected coin dealer/proflic author Q. David Bowers once said about the 1936 Cincinnati commemorative half dollars (a not really rare item, with a total mintage of 5,005 sets), after they had taken a cyclical downturn in the early days of their collectability in 1939 from $50.00 per three-coin set (one example from each of the three mints) to $15.00, that was the time to buy them--a nice, hand-picked MS-65 set subsequently did quite nicely, appreciating fairly gradually over the years until it soared to $7,000 in 1987, at the time of a speculative boom. A set currently lists at $2175 raw, unslabbed. And by the way, Barry, the more common but still truly collectable coins also went up, but at a lower rate over the last 20 years, in direct proportion to their surviving mintages and popularity of their series. Sort of like '60's stars in PSA 8--nice and collectible, but a lot of them out there. ECON 101 in action. These types of cards will probably demonstrate the characteristics of their counterparts in coins, and be more cyclical in value, which is allright too. Just be aware of their price history.

The lesson I learned from the coin analogy was to buy rare, and buy significant (HOF'ers, and preferably upper echelon HOF'ers). There are newly emerging cards that fit this bill, and not just those that are currently at the top end of the market--does anyone think that the last Lections Ruth that sold will set the high water mark for this card for all time? If it does, then the one I bought for $6200 some years back from Mastro is in trouble. If they do think that, then how do they explain a 1933 Buttercream Ruth going for $111,000 at one of the REA auctions a few years ago? Broken down into the simplest terms, each of these cards have two things going for them: They're Babe Ruth, and they are extremely rare! IMHO, the 1907 Dietsche Fielding Cobb, barring a discovery of a hoard of them, is still in the process of emerging into a well-respected and significant great rarity, as are several of his other true rookie postcards (love the Wolverine News portrait, but haven't run across one at a time when finances would have permitted its purchase, in light of other recent buys). I see great longterm futures for each of these cards, and others like them. Hell, the 1914 Baltimore News Ruth was just emerging a bit over 20 years ago, when it might have been easy to simply dismiss its ability to draw collectors' dollars out of their bank accounts as a fad--after all, the '33 Goudey's were where the real Ruths were found then. Ditto cards like the '23-'24 Exhibit Ruth for prospective exponential growth, where the toughest part should not presently be buying but finding one (although I might be surprised at the price, should one come on the market)!

Look outside the envelope, think outside the box, and analyze and imagine what can likely be, rather than simply looking at what the market presently is (my philosophy is definitely that the glass is half full, rather than half empty--I've found that I've won quite a few court cases that otherwise would have been lost through abandonment thinking that way). But really, all value concerns aside, sometimes you just have to buy what you like, and those are some of the best buys you'll make in your heart. And if your purchases substantially increase in value and provide significant financial security for very rainey days, all the better! Immensely interesting thread.

Best wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-15-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: slept on it!