View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Because they throw way harder than the starters of yore. EVERYONE throws much harder than guys in the past. With very, very few exceptions, you simply can't have the same stamina throwing 99 as you can throwing 91. And managers have also seen the numbers on how much worse guys are the third time through the lineup.
Chris, I think that another factor is the variety and frequency of breaking pitches thrown by today's pitchers compared to what pitchers threw in the past, especially during the dead-ball era. WaJo and other dead-ball era pitchers relied heavily on their fast balls and maybe one other pitch (e.g., Matty with his screwball); this worked wonderfully, until the live-ball era, at which time WaJo worked to improve his other pitches, especially his curve ball, and I assume other predominantly-fast-ball pitchers had to do the same to maintain their excellence.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.