View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Default Investing in baseball cards

Posted By: Anonymous

This behavior is collecting or speculating. EBay has reduced the spread between what a buyer pays for a card, and what a seller obtains. Investing is the purchase of an asset with a cash flow, or a claim on a cash flow. These pieces of paper are kindling. Topps stock - now, that's investing. Just because your return is higher in cards than in financial assets doesn't mean you're investing. You're a lucky collector.

Ever notice how pictures of politicians and religious figures in the Middle East are readily traded or displayed? I'll trade you my 1967 (you fill in name of spiritial leader) with mustache for your 1986 with full facial hair. Well, I'm not buying.

Finally, Mr. Mint might be alot of things, but Mr. Mint had a nice explanation in his book about "investing" in baseball cards: If bought and sold between dealers and collectors, the collector must enjoy a price rise of about 400% to double the funds committed since most dealers would generously pay no more than 50% of "market value." Mr. Mint claimed he invested great quantities in mid-1980s MINT Topps (ah-hahahahaha) sets. I wonder how he made out? Maybe he hyped them in his book to unload those losers.