View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone else collect..................

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Don't know why I started collecting them. I collect all types of Louisville Slugger stuff (being in Louisville) and just kinda branched over to other types/makes of pens when I started having more trouble finding L.S. pens.

The frames are great. I took black boards that are used for displaying watches and then had a local frame store make the frames around them. They have open fronts and you can just slide the pens/pencils under the little elastic strings that the watches would normally go under. Think each one holds like 16 pencils. Problem is, I'd need about 40 more frames for all the crappin pens I have. I just put the nicer ones up and the World Series ones I have. I went through a period where I sold a LOT of the sets that I had. I probably sold about 30-40 pen/pencil sets in original boxes. Don't know why. Should have kept 'em. Oh well..........

The Satchell Paige clip WAS produced with the 1950's St. Louis Browns set. I have 6 total from the set and I know of 2-3 more that do exist. I have Marty Marion, Clint Courtney, Paige, Bill Veeck and 3-4 more. A REAL paige is pretty easy to tell compared to the fake ones. The fake ones have TONS of border around his face and don't look like the normal Indians/Browns clips. Lyman from oldcardboard just won a real one on ebay.....

FAKE...........

REAL...........

I have a couple REAL Paiges....one of which is still on the St Louis Browns pencil's JUST like the Indians pencils. The Browns set is MUCH more difficult to get than any of the Indians sets. There is a Rogers Hornsby that I REALLY want but just can't find any of. I see probably 40-50 Indians clips per every REAL browns clip on ebay. Might be more than that.