Thread: Valuation
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Cardboard Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Toughest thing about buying anything is that valuations at the upper end of any market always look stupid. Every successful stock always looks overpriced. Google looked like a crappy deal at 100. I remember when Amazon was 25 and pundits were saying steer clear.

In 1999 I sold a condo in NYC for way more than I bought it for. I thought the buyers were insane. I felt guilty at the closing. That condo is now worth 5 x what I sold it for.

I then bought a house in the burbs. Everyone told me we really overpaid. One of my new neighbors drove buy rolled down car window and started mocking me for what I paid. Now of course it is worth way more.

Everything I have ever bought in my life that I was convinced I really overpaid for turned out to be a smart move. And almost everytime I went the cheap route it fell flat. (Cars are the exception, because they are always a waste of money and not an investment.)

Not saying every card is going to appreciate in value. But be careful before you laugh at the stupid price some guy just spent on a Goudey Ruth or Ruth rookie. 5 years from now will probably be higher.
+1 - it’s rather quite simple...buy premium Babe Ruth memorabilia because today’s retail is typically tomorrow’s wholesale!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-07-2018 at 07:44 PM.