Thread: T207 Lowdermilk
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default T207 Lowdermilk

Posted By: scott brockelman

andrew,

welcome to the board.

the t207 set is a very complex issue(aren't they all). most of the problem lies in very limited distribution on the part of different cigarette companies 90 years ago, but also the part of baseball card collectors 30-40 years ago.

certain brands were either more expensive or less widely distributed, either way they occured less often, and then could be further compromised by the fact players were either traded or released and were not popular with the kids(whom were the primary collectors). some of these issues were put out over a number of years, further complicating things.

back to the T207 set, for decades, advanced collectors considered the lowdermilk and also the ward miller and lewis cards to be the toughest. this was due to the fact most went to local flea markets and later on card shows. these cards just didn't show up!.

fast forward to present day and PSA/SGC pop reports but more importantly Ebay, all of a sudden the entire population of cards extant became evident. some thought to be rare were acutally fairly common, others thought to be common were actually pretty rare. this is 2 fold, one a product of printing, the other of survival. to this day you will find collectors of certain sets that are steadfast on their belief of the rarest card of the set, but there judgement is based on sightings of each card, which can be affected by all of the above. i have searched for a card for years, finally found it and found 2 more the next month, wasn't that rare after all, but i sure thought it was for a while.

i will leave the T207's to the board, but having the set i certainly feel that there are a few tougher than lowdermilk or others.

scott