Thread: March pickups
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Bob M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
For Crosley Field Era Reds guy, this is just about as good as it gets. This is a very tough style (home or road) to begin with. Now consider the player. Prior to Frank Robinson showing up in 1956, Klu and McMillan were the fan favorites at Findlay and Western. Because of the way Klu had his sleeves cut, his 1955 gamers (a home and road exist in the hobby), his uniforms are without the "Mr. Red" patch on the left sleeve.

A number of the Redlegs of this period get overlooked or considered "inflated stars" due to the All Star Ballot Box stuffing of 1956 and 1957, but many considered McMillan to be the best infielder in the majors at the time (See Tom Meany article; Collier's Magazine May 27th, 1955).

Roy won the first Gold Glove presented to a major league shortstop in 1957 (only one award per position that year) and then took the NL honors in 1958 and 1959.

Dave Grob
In every aspect, that is simply an awesome Roy McMillan Reds flannel -- Just beautiful