View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default RIP HOFer GEORGE KELL

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

May GOD BLESS his soul and comfort his family.

I watched him play in the early 1950's with a formidable Detroit Tigers team that would give my Yankees
some tough competition.
I especially remember the 1950 season with George Kell (3b) who was second in the American League in
batting .340 average and led the ML with 218 hits and 56 doubles. A favorite of the Detroit fans was Hoot
Evers who batted .323 with 109 RBIs. The fans would chant "HOOT-HOOT-HOOT" when he was at bat. Vic
Wertz at RF hitting 27 home runs with 123 RBIs. Pitcher Art Houtteman with a 19-12 and four shutouts.
A really great team that fought the Yankees down to the wire.

I will never forget one game in 1950 at old Briggs Field where the Tigers and the Yankees set a new HR
record for a BB game. If I recall correctly The Yankees and Tigers combined for a Major League record 11
home runs during a 10-9, June 23rd game at Briggs Stadium. It was also the first time that nine different
players connected for home runs in a single game. Detroit tallied 4 home runs in the 4th inning thanks to
Dizzy Trout, Gerry Priddy, Vic Wertz, and Hoot Evers. New York's Hank Bauer connected for 2 HR's while
Joe DiMaggio, Jerry Coleman, Yogi Berra, and pinch hitter Tommy Henrich also belted HR's. Detroit's slugger
Evers finally won the contest with his 2nd blast, an inside-the-park two-run game winner in the 9th.

[linked image]

TED Z