View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkas68 View Post
Personally, I would love to have PWCC and PSA there and I would be very upset if it was anything but civil. I love collecting and have done so since I was 10 years old (41 years). I do not have any $100,000 cards but I do have a six figure collection in total.
Lately, I have become concerned. If technology and bad actors make it impossible tell a fake piece from a genuine piece, or a legitimate high grade card from an altered or conserved card, is the hobby headed for a fall? Do I need to get out? Or will passing on a 1938 Goudey Dimaggio in a PSA holder or a 1951 Bowman Mays in a SGC holder still have value and legitimacy in 20 years if I pass it on to my kids?
I have a couple thousand TPG graded cards. I don’t know of any of mine that are altered (other than the ones labeled that way) but I would be naive to think that they are all clean. Does that mean I am complicit in the problem if I sell? What about if I sell a psa 8 that only deserves a 6?
My personal opinion is that it would be unfair to say that PWCC, PSA, BVG, SCG, REA, etc., etc. caused this problem. But I would certainly think it is fair to say they contributed to the problem.
I would love to see an intelligent discussion on how to solve the problem. Maybe a panel? What I would hate to see is it disintegrate into what is happening now in Washington where everyone just insults each other, nobody acts like an adult, and nothing gets done. If we invite Brett or Joe Orlando or whoever, let’s not waste the opportunity to accomplish something by disintegrating into a mob.

Rob Kasenter
Rob, those are all lofty goals. Unfortunately Brent has Fifth Amendment issues and at some point he may find a competent attorney in Oregon.